The first of the principles of communication states that people are always much more influenced by the depth and credibility of the connection you can create with them than by the quality of what you communicate.
What then does connection mean?
The connection is the ability to create a bond, to identify with people and relate to them in a way that increases your influence towards them.
The main objective is to connect and influence people at three different levels: one by one, in a group, with the public
The OKRS – Objectives and key results behind it all is: the smaller the group, the more important it is to create the connection.
One to one connection
Connecting with one-on-one people is more important than being able to do it in a group or with an audience.
This is because 80-90% of all connections occur at this level, and this is where you connect with the people who are most important.
How good are you at connecting with friends, family, colleagues and colleagues?
To increase your influence on people in one-to-one modes:
- Talk more about the other person than you. Prepare two or three questions you can ask someone before a meeting or social event.
- Bring something of value, like a useful quote, a story, a book or something else, to give to someone when you’re together.
- At the end of a conversation, ask if there is anything, you can do to help the person and then pursue it. An act of service has a stronger and longer impact than words.
Connection with a group
To get in touch with a group, you need to take the initiative with the people in the group.
To do this, do the following:
- Look for ways to compliment the people in the group for their ideas and actions.
- Look for ways to add value to people in the group and what they are doing.
- Don’t take credit when the group is successful and don’t blame it when it fails.
Connection with an audience
One of the best ways to learn to connect with an audience is to watch the communicators who are good at it.
Learn from them and adopt what you can in your personal style.
In the meantime, here are four things you can do to get in touch with an audience:
- Let your listeners know you’re excited about being with them.
- Communicate that you want to add value to them.
- Let them know how they add value to you.
If you know other ways to influence people, share them in the comments.
Until next time.